All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
About this product
- DescriptionConventional star atlases are great for locating constellations and individual stars but The Star Atlas Companion goes one step further and describes the physical properties of more than 1,100 stars. With the aid of scale diagrams, the reader can get a real sense of the sizes, shapes, distances, and surface features of many of the stars visible to the naked eye in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Information on their rotational velocities and periods is given together with their spectral type and lumisity. Binary and multiple star systems are explained in detail. Special mention is made of Barnard's, Kapteyn's, Kepler's, and Van Maanen's Stars and the properties of many open clusters are given. With its emphasis on helping the amateur astromer gain a better understanding of what they are looking at, The Star Atlas Companion will provide a new dimension to observing the star and is an invaluable supplement to any star atlas.
- Author BiographyPhilip Bagnall, an amateur astronomer, has previously been published in The Meteorite & Tektite Collector's Handbook (William-Bell, 1991), and in the 1980s and 1990s he was a regular contributor to Astronomy magazine on meteors. but he has also written on a freelance basis for various other science magazines including New Scientist, Focus, Earth, and Science PROBE! He is a former Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society, former member of the British Astronomical Association, the Meteoritical Society, and the British Association of Science Writers.
- Author(s)Philip M. Bagnall
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication19/04/2012
- SubjectPopular Science
- Series TitleSpringer Praxis Books / Popular Astronomy
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note211 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight975 g
- Width168 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement2012
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.