All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
About this product
- DescriptionThis timely book will stimulate debate about the roots of poverty in Africa and what should be done about it. It draws on a substantial body of research to argue that much thinking on Africa - from both official dors and from international NGOs alike - is flawed, because that thinking either does t recognize or does t draw out the implications of the central role of politics and the state in Africa's development problems. In almost all African countries the political elites are uninterested in leading a development process. Western dor countries and institutions have largely turned a blind eye to this situation, and indeed aid has become an important resource in maintaining anti-developmental states. By contrast, in almost all other successful development episodes - such as in East Asia - the state has played a key role. Anti-developmental politics remains a problem even in countries that are seen as 'good performers'. The analysis leads to a different policy agenda for aid, trade, debt and corruption, and also a different campaigning agenda for NGOs: agendas that have a focus on support for the emergence of a new kind of politics in Africa.
- Author BiographyMatthew Lockwood is a consultant with twenty years' experience of working in and visiting Africa. Since the late 1990s he has worked in several senior policy and campaigning positions in major UK Development NGOs and for many years has undertaken extensive research in, and lectured on, sociology and development issues with specific reference to Africa.
- Author(s)Matthew Lockwood
- PublisherITDG Publishing
- Date of Publication02/07/2005
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleViewpoints S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintITDG Publishing
- Out-of-print date24/03/2011
- Weight248 g
- Width216 mm
- Height138 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.