All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRural societies are conventionally thought to be bound by tradition and resistant to change. But from the 18th century onwards many countries began to see the countryside as the basis of national prosperity, with a healthy and increasing population, and rising agricultural output fostering general ecomic growth. It became an objective of the State to encourage the trend, but also to exert social control on this major part of the population in order to civilize the rude peasantry and acquire their electoral support. This book deals with the various aspects of rural life in which the State intervened: ecomic matters, such as property rights and market regulations; social questions, from moral concerns to demographic policy; and the key issue of rural education. From Sweden to the Iberian Peninsula, the United Kingdom to Hungary, and from the eighteenth century to the twentieth, using both broad surveys and in-depth studies, with an extensive introduction written from a comparative perspective, an international group of historians (brought together by the COST network A35) for the first time examine the rural concerns of the state, both ecomic and social, in a comparative European context. Nadine Vivier is professor of social and ecomic history at the University ofMaine (France). She has worked extensively on rural societies from 1750 to 2000 in France and in Europe.
- PublisherBrepols N.V.
- Date of Publication27/04/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleRural History in Europe
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationTurnhout
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintBrepols N.V.
- Weight499 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byN Vivier,Nadine Vivier
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.