All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA new edition of James Collins's acclaimed synthesis that challenged longstanding views of the origins of modern states and absolute monarchy through an analysis of early modern Europe's most important continental state. Incorporating recent scholarship on the French state and his own research, James Collins has revised the text throughout. He examines recent debates on 'absolutism'; presents a fresh interpretation of the Fronde and of French society in the eighteenth century; includes additional material on French colonies and overseas trade; and ties recent theoretical work into a new chapter on Louis XIV. He argues that the monarchical state came into being around 1630, matured between 1690 and 1730 and, in a new final chapter, shows that the period May 1787 to June 1789 was an interregnum, with the end of the Ancien Regime coming t in 1789 but with the dissolution of the Assembly of Notables on 25 May 1787.
- Author BiographyJames B. Collins is Professor of History at Georgetown University. His previous publications include From Tribes to Nation: The Making of France, c.500-1799 (2002), The Ancien Regime and the French Revolution (2002) and Classes, Estates and Order in Early Modern Brittany (1994).
- Author(s)James B. Collins
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/11/2009
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleNew Approaches to European History
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 42
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus. 3 maps
- Weight580 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.