All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor nearly sixty years, Bud Furillo wrote and talked about sports in Southern California. As a reporter, columnist, editor, and pioneer of sports talk radio, the Steamer dished out insight and understanding to Southern California sports fans while Los Angeles grew into a sports empire. Here, Furillo's son, Andy, himself a longtime newspaperman, uses his father's lens to give focus to the city's rise as a sports empire. THE STEAMER is a history of a great sports town at its most dynamic, told from the point of view of a legendary reporter.
- Author BiographyAndy Furillo has been in the newspaper business since 1972 when he began working as a copy boy at the Los Angeles Herald Examiner. He went on to work as a sportswriter in 1974 for the Downey Southeast News and spent the following six years with the Goleta Valley Today and the Santa Barbara News-Press. In 1980, he shifted to news reporting and for the next thirty-five years focused on criminal justice issues with the Santa Maria Times, the Los Angeles Herald Examiner, the Los Angeles Times, the San Francisco Examiner and, since 1991, the Sacramento Bee. Furillo won the 2002 Broun Award for his reporting on a Sacramento neighborhood s descent into one of the most crime-ridden areas of town. He won other national journalism awards for his coverage of L.A. street gangs, California's prison crisis, and the implementation of the state s three-strikes sentencing law. In 2015, the Sacramento Bee made him a sports columnist. He lives in Davis, CA. Tommy Lasorda was the legendary manager for the Los Angeles Dodgers from 1976 to 1996. A two-time World Series champion (1981, 1988) and a two-time NL Manager of the Year (1983, 1988), Lasorda was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1997. He lives in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Andy Furillo,Tommy Lasorda
- PublisherSanta Monica Press
- Date of Publication17/12/2016
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationSanta Monica
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSanta Monica Press
- Content Note50
- Weight839 g
- Width158 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.