All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFounded shortly after the Conquest of 1066, Boston rapidly grew to become the most successful English port outside of London. The growth of the wool trade in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries led to the building of St Botolph's, the largest parish church in the country. During the seventeenth century the town was strongly Puritan, causing some inhabitants to emigrate to America to found the new city of Boston, Massachusetts. Some of the Pilgrim Fathers were imprisoned in the medieval Guildhall, which survives to this day. Boston's story is brought right up to date, celebrating the complete history of this fabulous Lincolnshire town in a volume that will delight locals and visitors alike.
- Author BiographyRichard Gurnham is a leading expert on Lincolnshire history, with four books to his credit. A teacher of history and politics until 2011, Richard is now a lecturer for the WEA.
- Author(s)Richard Gurnham
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication03/03/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note77 black & white illustrations
- Weight603 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Most relevant reviews
- emath9907 Jul, 2016by
A wonderful histor of my home town.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.