Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.75Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by angus_robertson
- Est. delivery by 28 Feb
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Story of Modern Art is firmly established as an outstanding introduction to the subject. Writing in a clear and direct style, Norbert Lynton aims at helping the reader to form a relaxed and confident relationship with modern art. He explores the challenges and dilemmas that faced artists at the turn of the nineteenth century, and shows that subsequent developments have been serious and intelligent efforts to create art that is both honest and significant. Modern art still perplexes many people and the author believes that the accounts offered in its support often make the problem worse by over-stressing invation and the rejection of the past. He sees essential break or opposition between modern art and the art of the past, and argues that more attention should be paid to the inner content of works of art and less to superficial labels. In this edition, The Story of Modern Art is brought right up to date, with a new chapter on the developments in both art and art criticism in the 1980s, updated and enlarged biographies and bibliography, and additional illustrations. Combining clearly presented factual information with penetrating analysis and judgement, it is an indispensable starting point for all those interested in the art of the last 100 years.
- Author BiographyNorbert Lynton is a distinguished art historian, lecturer, teacher and critic. From 1975 to 1989 he was Professor of the History of Art at the University of Sussex. He is the author of Ben Nicholson, also published by Phaidon.
- Author(s)Norbert Lynton
- PublisherPhaidon Press Ltd
- Date of Publication10/08/1989
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhaidon Press Ltd
- Content Note198 b&w and 110 colour illustrations, bibliography
- Weight1111 g
- Width172 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.