All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Story of an African Farm (1883) marks an early appearance in fiction of Victorian society's emerging New Woman. The vel follows the spiritual quests of Lyndall and Waldo, who each struggle against social constraints in their search for happiness and truth: Lyndall, against society's expectations of women, and Waldo against stifling class conventions. Written from the margins of the British empire, the vel addresses the conflicts of race, class, and gender that shaped the lives of European settlers in Southern Africa before the Boer Wars. This Broadview edition includes appendices that link the vel to histories of empire and colonialism, the emergence of the New Woman, and the conflicts between science and religion in the Victorian period. Contemporary reviews are also included.
- Author BiographyPatricia O'Neill is a Professor of English at Hamilton College, Clinton, NY.
- Author(s)Olive Schreiner
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/01/2003
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Content Notemap
- Weight400 g
- Width146 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byPatricia O'Neill
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.57Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.