Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThe deaths of two German Socialist exiles from Nazism, Dora Fabian and Mathilde Wurm, in London in 1935, in far from straightforward circumstances, were a cause celebre of their day. They were of particular concern to the German exile community in Britain and elsewhere, and to the British intellectual Left, who feared t only that National Socialist agents might have been involved but also that the British authorities were intent on blocking the case's thorough investigation. Setting the Fabian-Wurm affair in its context, this study traces the lives and careers of the two dead women and also examines the position of the earliest political exiles from Germany. Drawing on a wide range of archival material, including British official documents never previously consulted, it reconstructs the events surrounding the Fabian-Wurm deaths as well as the repercussions of the affair on other exiles, on British public opinion, British policy towards the refugees and Anglo-German relations.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Charmian Brinson was born in Oxford and studied German at University College, Birkbeck College and King's College London. Since 1979 she has been a lecturer in German at Imperial College London. She has published widely in the field of German exile studies, particularly on exile in Britain, including works on Rudolf Olden, Fritz Gross, the campaign for the release of Carl von Ossietzky, and the London-based exile newspaper Die Zeitung. She is also a founder member of the London Research Centre for German and Austrian Exile Studies.
- Author(s)Charmian Brinson
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/10/1996
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Noteports.
- Weight590 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.