All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is a summer's night in 1860. In an elegant detached Georgian house in the village of Road, Wiltshire, all is quiet. Behind shuttered windows the Kent family lies sound asleep. At some point after midnight a dog barks. The family wakes the next morning to a horrific discovery: an unimaginably gruesome murder has taken place in their home. The household reverberates with shock, t least because the guilty party is surely still among them. Jack Whicher of Scotland Yard, the most celebrated detective of his day, reaches Road Hill House a fortnight later. He faces an unenviable task: to solve a case in which the grieving family are the suspects. The murder provokes national hysteria. The thought of what might be festering behind the closed doors of respectable middle-class homes - scheming servants, rebellious children, insanity, jealousy, loneliness and loathing - arouses fear and a kind of excitement. But when Whicher reaches his shocking conclusion there is uproar and bewilderment. A true story that inspired a generation of writers such as Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens and Arthur Conan Doyle, this has all the hallmarks of the classic murder mystery - a body; a detective; a country house steeped in secrets. In The Suspicions of Mr Whicher Kate Summerscale untangles the facts behind this torious case, bringing it back to vivid, extraordinary life.
- Author BiographyKate Summerscale was born in 1965. She is the author of the bestselling The Queen of Whale Cay, which won a Somerset Maugham award and was shortlisted for the Whitbread biography award. She has also judged various literary competitions including the Booker Prize. She lives in London with her five-year-old son.
- PrizesWinner of Galaxy British Book Awards: Galaxy Book of the Year 2009 and Galaxy British Book Awards: Play.com Popular Non-Fiction Award 2009 and Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction 2008. Shortlisted for The South Bank Show Awards: Literature 2009 and Independent Booksellers' Week Book of the Year Award: Adults' Book of the Year 2009 and Galaxy British Book Awards: Richard and Judy's Best Read of the Year 2009 and Independent Booksellers' Week Book of the Year Award: Adults' Book of the Year 2008 and CWA John Creasey (New Blood) Dagger 2008.
- Author(s)Kate Summerscale
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication05/10/2009
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Content NoteB&W Inserts
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edition StatementSpecial edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.81Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.