All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor readers of Water for ElephantsorThe Night Circus, alush and thrilling romantic fable about two lovers set against the scandalous burlesques, midnight seances, and aerial ballets of the 1898 Omaha World s Fair. On the eve of the World s Fair, Ferret Skerritt, ventriloquist by trade, con man by birth, is unsure how the fair s events will change him or his city. Omaha still has the marks of a filthy Wild West town, even as it attempts to achieve the grandeur and respectability of nearby Chicago. But when he crosses paths with the beautiful and enigmatic Cecily, his purpose shifts, and the fair becomes the backdrop to their love affair. One of a traveling troupe of actors that has descended on the city, Cecily works in the Midway s Chamber of Horrors, where she loses her head hourly on a guillotine, playing Marie Antoinette. And after closing, she rushes off, clinging protectively to a mysterious carpetbag, never giving Ferret a second glance. But a moonlit ride on the swan gondola, a boat on the lagoon of the New White City, transforms everything when the fair s magic begins to take its effect.
- Author BiographyTimothy Schaffertgrew up on a farm in Nebraska and now lives in Omaha. He is the author of four previous novels. Schaffert teaches creative writing and literature at the University of Nebraska Lincoln.
- Author(s)Timothy Schaffert
- PublisherRiverhead Books
- Date of Publication03/02/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRiverhead Books
- Weight726 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $24.16Trending at AU $29.95
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.