All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJonathan Swift's influence on the writings and politics of England and Ireland was reinforced by a combination of contradictory forces: an authoritarian attachment to tradition and rule, and a vivid responsiveness to the disorders of a modernity he resisted and yet helped to create. He was, perhaps even more than Pope, a dominant voice of his times. The rich variety of the literary culture to which he belonged shows the penetration of his ideas, personality and style. This is true of writers who were his friends and admirers (Pope), of adversaries (Mandeville, Johnson), of several who became great ironists in his shadow (Gibbon, Austen), and of some surprising examples of Swiftian afterlife (Chatterton). Claude Rawson, leading scholar of the works of Swift, brings together recent essays, as well as classic earlier work extensively revised, to offer fresh insights into an era when Swift's voice was a pervasive presence.
- Author BiographyClaude Rawson is Maynard Mack Professor Emeritus of English at Yale University. He is a General Editor for The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Jonathan Swift, and author of God, Gulliver and Genocide: Barbarism and the European Imagination, 1492-1945 (2001) and Swift's Angers (Cambridge University Press, 2014). He is most recently the editor of Essential Writings of Jonathan Swift: A Norton Critical Edition (co-edited with Ian Higgins, 2010); Great Shakespeareans, Volume 1: Dryden, Pope, Johnson, Malone (2010); Literature and Politics in the Age of Swift: English and Irish Perspectives (Cambridge University Press, 2010) and The Cambridge Companion to English Poets (Cambridge University Press, 2011).
- Author(s)Claude Rawson
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/03/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight450 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.