All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAD 69. Aulus Caecina Severus has thrown in his lot with the hedonistic Vitellius and prepares his legions for a gruelling march over the Alps. Driven by the desire to repay the treachery of his former patron, the Emperor Galba, and to keep his rival Valens in check, Severus leads his army against barbarian rebellions and against the mountains themselves in his race to reach Italy first. With the vast Po valley almost in sight, news reaches the army that Galba has been killed in a coup, and that Otho has been declared Emperor by the Praetorians who he had bribed to murder their own emperor. But there is turning back for Severus, even if he wanted to. The Rhine legions want their man on the throne, and they won't stop until they reach Rome itself. Even once Otho is defeated, the battle for supremacy between Severus and Valens is far from over. The politics of the court and the mob is the new battleground, and Severus needs the help of his wife Salonina and his freedman Totavalas in this constant game of thrones. When stories spread of a new power in the east, Severus has to decide where his real loyalty lies: to his Emperor, to his city or to himself?
- Author BiographyHenry Venmore-Rowland was born in rural Suffolk. Aside from the occasional family holiday, often to Italy, his only escape from school and village life was in the pages of historical fiction. His fascination with military and political history, the kings and battles approach, somehow got him into Oxford to read Ancient & Modern History at St. John's College. After dedicating so much time to reading grand tales of epic wars and political intrigue, he was inspired to write his first novel, the acclaimed The Last Caesar. He lives in Suffolk.
- Author(s)Henry Venmore-Rowland
- PublisherTransworld Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication22/05/2014
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBantam Books (Transworld Publishers a division of the Random House Group)
- Content NoteB & W map
- Weight316 g
- Width127 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.99New
- AU $71.82New
- AU $79.26New
- AU $49.25New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.45Trending at AU $30.99
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.37
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.26
- AU $10.69Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.11
- AU $10.79Trending at AU $18.68
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.