All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis edition of Thierry Groensteen's The System of Comics makes available in English a groundbreaking work on comics by one of the medium's foremost scholars. In this book, originally published in France in 1999, Groensteen explains clearly the subtle, complex workings of the medium and its unique way of combining visual, verbal, spatial, and chrological expressions. The author explores the nineteenth-century pioneer Rodolphe Topffer, contemporary Japanese creators, George Herriman's Krazy Kat, and modern American autobiographical comics. The System of Comics uses examples from a wide variety of countries including the United States, England, Japan, France, and Argentina. It describes and analyzes the properties and functions of speech and thought balloons, panels, strips, and pages to examine methodically and insightfully the medium's fundamental processes. From this, Groensteen develops his own coherent, overarching theory of comics, a system that both builds on existing studies of the word and image paradigm and adds invative approaches of his own. Examining both meaning and appreciation, the book provides a wealth of ideas that will challenge the way scholars approach the study of comics. By emphasizing t simply storytelling techniques but also the qualities of the printed page and the reader's engagement, the book's approach is broadly applicable to all forms of interpreting this evolving art.
- Author BiographyThierry Groensteen is a comics scholar and translator in Brussels, Belgium. He is the author of La bande dessinee: Une litterature graphique and La construction de la cage, among other books. |Bart Beaty is associate professor of communication and culture at the University of Calgary. |Nick Nguyen is an archivist at Library and Archives Canada, in Ottawa, Ontario.
- Author(s)Thierry Groensteen
- PublisherRethink Press
- Date of Publication19/01/2007
- SubjectFiction Companions
- Place of PublicationGt Yarmouth
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLean Marketing Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight307 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Translated byBart Beaty,Nick Nguyen
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.66
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.57Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.68
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.83
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.