All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing upon his considerable practical experience in the field and his highly regarded theoretical work, Chacko explores the use of systems science in solving complex problems in a variety of contexts. The author operationally defines the characteristics of problems that require a systems approach, presents his own step-by-step systems approach protocol, and takes the reader through 25 applications of the protocol to actual events. Ranging from global strategy decision-making to corporate sales planning, the case examples clearly demonstrate the ways in which the systems approach can be an effective operational tool for managers and policymakers involved in decision-making hituations characterized by difficulty and uncertainty. The case examples included fall into two major categories: missions and markets. In the first group, Chacko analyzes problems such as the U.S. response to Soviet threats during the Cuban missile crisis, the decision to attempt to achieve a nuclear force reduction agreement, and the questions of where and how to base the nation's strategic air forces. Among the market applications examined are Texas Instruments' decision to develop, manufacture, and market semiconductor devices; a corporate strategy to increase market share by 30 percent; and the evaluation of electronic alternatives to paper-based communications. Throughout, Chacko pays particular attention to developing a workable approach to problem-solving in an atmosphere of complexity and uncertainty. His work will be especially useful to marketing and R&D professionals as well as to students of systems science and analysis.
- Author BiographyGEORGE K. CHACKO is Professor of Systems Science at the University of Southern California and Director of the Doctoral Program in Technology Management at National Chengchi University in Taipei. A member of the World Future Society and Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Astronautical Society, Dr. Chacko is the author of 39 books, including Technology Management (Praeger, 1988) and Dynamic Program Management (Praeger, 1989).
- Author(s)George K. Chacko
- Date of Publication06/10/1989
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight501 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $43.92Trending at AU $50.20
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.