Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $26.30Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $31.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArthur Szyk (prounced ShickA ) created his Haggadah on the eve of the Nazi occupation of his native Poland. In 1937, he relocated to London, carrying with him the 48 densely illustrated panels that depicted Jewish heroes like Moses and David triumphing over Egyptians and Philistines. Three years later, a group of wealthy English Jews financed a first (limited) edition of The Szyk Haggadah. By 1956, the plates had found their way to Israel, where a trade edition remained in print until 2003. Available in the United States only through specialized distribution channels, this version became the most popular haggadah of the twentieth century-at least in Israel. This edition, the first widely available printing since 1940 to be reproduced from Szyk's original art, boasts a newly commissioned and incredibly practical text by Rabbi Byron L. Sherwin, the Director of Doctoral Studies at the Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies in Chicago. A special commentary section, which follows the main story of the Passover, gives insight into both the rituals of the seder and Szyk's rich illustrations. A master miniaturist, Arthur Szyk studied and worked in Paris, Krakow, and Palestine during the years before World War I. His art attracted the attention of the Polish Army in Lodz, which recruited him to head their Department of Propaganda. Following the war, he was a popular and highly collectable artist, traveling to America to promote exhibitions. Hitler's rise to power in early 1933 prompted Szyk's return to Lodz, where he began work on his haggadah in earnest. The original version of the haggadah, which depicts historical Jewish triumphs through contemporaneous villains, included swastikas on the armbands of the Egyptians.A Szyk eventually removed these to make the illustrations more palatable to European publishers, who were wary of Germany's military expansions. Szyk's anti-Nazi work was widely published during World War II; in 1941, Putnam published The New Order, filled with Szyk caricatures of Axis leaders, and his satirical drawings of Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito graced magazine covers, editorials, ads for war bonds, and even War Department pamphlets and films.
- Author BiographyIn his lifetime, Arthur Szyk (1894-1951) was known primarily as a political illustrator of the highest caliber. He settled in 1940 in America, where his anti-Nazi cartoons were widely published. Eleanor Roosevelt once referred to him as a one-man army,A and indeed, he saw himself as a soldier in art.A Dr. Byron L. Sherwin, a Jewish scholar and ethicist of international renown, is the author or editor of more than 28 books and 150 articles and monographs. He is a noted authority on the life and work of Arthur Szyk. Since 1970, Dr. Sherwin has served on the faculty of the Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies, where he currently is Distinguished Service Professor and director of doctoral studies. He lives in Chicago. The rediscovery of Szyk's art has been the work of Irvin Ungar, an antiquarian bookseller and former rabbi, who has recovered original work, curated exhibitions, and given lectures, and his firm Historicana published printed a lavish limited edition of The Szyk Haggadah in 2008. He lives in Burlingame, California.
- Author(s)Arthur Szyk,Irvin Ungar
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- LanguageEnglish & Hebrew
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- Content Note50 color illustrations
- Weight617 g
- Width229 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.81Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.