All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first complete new translation for 25 years of the ackwledged masterpiece of Japanese literature. Lady Murasaki's great 11th century vel is a beautifully crafted story of love, betrayal and death at the Imperial Court. At the core of this epic is Prince Genji, the son of an emperor, whose passionate character, love affairs and shifting political fortunes, offer an equisite glimpse of the golden age of Japan. Royal Tyler's superb new translation is scrupulously true to the Japanese original but appeals immeadiately to the modern reader. This edition also includes tes, glossaries, character lists and a chrology to enable the reader to appreciate the richness of this classic of world literature.
- Author BiographyMurasaki Shikibu (c. 970-1015) was a member of one of the most powerful dynasties in Japan and the author of a diary which reveals much about court life in Japan. Royall Tyler taught Japanese religion and literature at the Australian National University and has published widely on Japanese literature. He translated Japanese No Dramas for Penguin Classics.
- PrizesWinner of Japan-U.S. Friendship Commission Prize from Columbia University 2002.
- Author(s)Murasaki Shikibu
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication07/12/2002
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1451 g
- Width160 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine56 mm
- Translated byRoyall Tyler
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.