All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe book covers eight different world-music styles, from calypso and samba to Javanese gamelan and west African music. Each chapter presents succinct background and contextual information; a breakdown of the characteristic features of the style; an analysis of a typical piece; suggestions for composing and performing projects; and advice on where to find further supporting resources. Each of these chapters is accompanied by a YouTube playlist that pulls together musicians and pieces which exemplify the style. There is also a brief discussion of some of the most important issues in world music, which will enable you to teach it with confidence.
- Author BiographyRichard Knight studied Music at St John's College, Oxford, and has been Director of Music at two leading independent schools. He now combines teaching with a position as a senior examiner for one of the A-level exam boards, and is also on the examiner panel for the ABRSM. He has written several books for Rhinegold Education including study guides for GCSE, AS and A2 level. He is a keen traveller and has made extended trips to South America, having a particular interest in tango and Andean music. Richard is also a composer with a diverse range of works to his name, including opera, oratorio and chamber music. Conor Doherty studied Music at University College Cork, with a particular focus on north Indian, west African, Javanese and traditional Irish music. After completing his BMus, Conor moved to Pakistan to study dhol drumming with the renowned Sufi dhol drummer Papu Sain. After three years he returned to London to complete a master's degree in ethnomusicology at Goldsmiths College. In 2001 Conor began teaching ethnomusicology and music at The Brit School for Performing Arts in London. He has travelled extensively, taking lessons as he goes, including an extended period of study at the University of Ghana and gamelan lessons in Java. Conor is also a singer and guitarist, performing Irish and English folk music at clubs and festivals.
- Author(s)Conor Doherty,Richard Knight
- PublisherMusic Sales Ltd
- Date of Publication30/04/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRhinegold Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.