The Teaching of Science in Primary Schools by Wynne Harlen, Anne Qualter (Paperback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $47.82Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $72.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Teaching of Science in Primary Schools provides essential information for all concerned with primary school education about all aspects of teaching science. It pays particular attention to inquiry-based teaching and learning because of the more general educational benefits that follow from using this approach. These benefits are often expressed in terms of developing general scientific literacy and fostering the ability to learn and the motivation to continue learning. This book also aims to help teachers focus on the 'big' or powerful ideas of science rather than teaching a series of unrelated facts. This leads children to an understanding of the nature, and limitations, of scientific activity. This fully expanded and updated edition explores: * The compelling reasons for starting science in the primary school. * Within-school planning in the context of less prescriptive national requirements. * The value of having in mind the 'big ideas' of science. * The opportunities for children to learn through greater access to the internet and social networking. * The expanding sources of materials and guidance w available to teachers on-line. * Greater attention to school and teacher self-evaluation as a means of improving provision for children's learning. * The importance for both teachers and learners of reflecting on the process and content of their activities. Other key aspects of teaching, such as:- questioning, the importance of discussion and dialogue, the formative and summative roles of assessment and strategies for helping children to develop understanding, skills, positive attitudes and enjoyment of science, are preserved. So also is the learner-centred approach with an emphasis on children learning to take some responsibility for their activities. This book is essential reading for all primary school teachers and those on primary education courses.
- Author BiographyWynne Harlen, OBE, PhD, has been involved in teaching and research in science education, evaluation and pupil assessment throughout her long career, during which time she has been Sidney Jones Professor of Science Education at the University of Liverpool, UK and Director of the Scottish Council for Research in Education. Anne Qualter, PhD, has wide experience of research and professional development in science and is now Head of the Centre for Lifelong Learning at the University of Liverpool, UK.
- Author(s)Anne Qualter,Wynne Harlen
- PublisherDavid Fulton Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication27/01/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDavid Fulton Publishers Ltd
- Content Note50 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables
- Weight822 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement6th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.