All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWelcomed with open arms, derided as a pig-igrant tourist and occasionally mocked mercilessly for his trouble, Ben Fogle visited the last flag-flying outposts of the British Empire. With caution, dignity and a spare pair of pants thrown to the wind, he set out to discover just exactly who would choose to live on islands as remote as these and - more importantly - tried to figure out exactly why. Landing himself on islands so isolated, wind-swept, barren and just damned peculiar that they might have Robinson Crusoe thinking twice, Fogle: almost becomes lunch on the appropriately named Carcass Island; gets deported from Pitcairn for being both a spy and a smuggler; uncovers the story of the tyrant who became St Helena's most unwilling and least popular guest; and, witnesses a shark attack from a respectable distance. Why he went, what he did when he got there and how exactly he got back in one piece makes for an eye-opening but affectionate look into life in these unique, peculiar places.
- Author BiographyBen Fogle was the star of the BBC's hit series Castaway 2000. Now presenting Country File, The Teatime Islands is Ben's first book. He lives in London.
- Author(s)Ben Fogle
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication05/08/2004
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date03/02/2011
- Content Notecol. Illustrations, facsims. (some col.), maps, col. ports.
- Weight248 g
- Width129 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.