All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
About this product
- DescriptionSince 1997, the AGS China cokemaking team has been examining the rapidly changing relationships among techlogy, energy, the environment, and health (TEEH) in one of China's most energy-intensive and highly polluting industries - cokemaking. The team has developed analytical tools and methods that can be used to examine TEEH issues in almost any industry in any country. Their findings tell a fascinating story - a story that t only teaches us how we can begin to analyze unfamiliar industries through the TEEH lens, but also reveals the often unexpected consequences of industrial management and techlogy decisions. Coke is unusual in that it is at the same time both particularly unglamorous and particularly important - as a result, key industrial changes occurring in China with far-reaching global ecomic and environmental impacts often go unticed. This book is a major step in closing the kwledge gap of those impacts. The editor supplements the detailed and informative text with photos illustrating the new and old techlogies used in Shanxi Province from 1998 through 2004. The TEEH approach should serve as a template for scholars, industrial and resource managers, and ecomic development strategists for years to come. - Adam Rose, Professor of Energy, Environmental, and Regional Ecomics, The Pennsylvania State University. Impressive. This book, the result of seven years of interdisciplinary work, proves that the China cokemaking team is contributing to the forefront of the field. - Wang Huijiong, Vice President, Academic Committee, Development Research Center, State Council, People's Republic of China, and Li Shantong, Vice President, Academic Committee, Development Foundation. This book is timely and relevant - [It] describes many aspects of recent, dramatic transformations in the [coke] industry and uses new survey and planning tools to provide descriptive and analytic information that should be useful to policy analysts. - Zmarak Shalizi, Senior Research Manager for Infrastructure and Environment Research, the World Bank. This [is a] timely, comprehensive study ...Prof. Polenske is to be commended for a very readable analysis of cokemaking, during a period of unprecedented growth in the coke industry and the ecomy in China, illustrated by a large number of photographs. - Adel Sarofim, Presidential Professor, College of Engineering, University of Utah, formerly MIT Lammot du Pont Professor of Chemical Engineering.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication13/12/2005
- SubjectEnergy Technology & Electrical Engineering
- Series TitleAlliance for Global Sustainability Bookseries
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 8
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight502 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byKaren R. Polenske
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.