All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTells the story of the common dandelion, that remarkably widespread plant that is kwn, for better or worse, by just about everybody. Through a series of short essays, written in accessible language and a thoroughly engaging style, Anita Sanchez takes the reader on a journey through the natural history of the dandelion and its long association with humans. Joan Jobson's illustrations add important details and subtle accents that enhance this journey. Well-adapted ecologically to spread into and thrive within disturbed sites -- such as the lawns, playgrounds, roadsides, and parking lots in which they are most often encountered today, and viewed as weeds -- dandelions also have had a lengthy, welcomed association with humans as medicine, food, and objects of ritual, magic, and folklore. 'The Teeth of the Lion' will be a source of enjoyable, fascinating, memorable information of interest to all users. It will provide naturalists, wildflower enthusiasts, gardeners, interpreters, teachers, landscapers, and homeowners a better understanding of one of the most common, well-kwn, and perhaps under-appreciated plants to be found anywhere.
- Author BiographyAnita Sanchez was born in Boston, MA, and grew up in Cape Ann, MA, and upstate New York. She received her BA from Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, NY, in 1977, one of the first to major in the new field of ecology and conservation. A life-long fascination with American history led to her two previous books. In researching The Teeth of the Lion, she was impressed by the Shakers, who at one time were the leading producers of herbal medicines in America. Dandelions were a crop the Shakers planted and harvested extensively, since they were well aware of its medicinal benefits. Their dandelion extract was a popular and effective liver tonic.
- Author(s)Anita Sanchez
- PublisherMcDonald & Woodward Publishing Company, US
- Date of Publication11/09/2006
- SubjectNatural History: Plants
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcDonald & Woodward Publishing Company, US
- Content Noteb/w illus
- Weight325 g
- Width215 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Illustrator(s)Joan Jobson
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.