All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShortlisted for the 2013 Man Booker Prize, Colm Toibin's provocative, haunting, and indelible portrait of Mary presents her as a solitary older woman still seeking to understand the events that become the narrative of the New Testament and the foundation of Christianity. In the ancient town of Ephesus, Mary lives alone, years after her son s crucifixion. She has interest in collaborating with the authors of the Gospel her keepers, who provide her with food and shelter and visit her regularly. She does t agree that her son is the Son of God; r that his death was worth it; r that the group of misfits he gathered around him, men who could t look a woman in the eye, were holy disciples. Mary judges herself ruthlessly (she did t stay at the foot of the Cross until her son died she fled, to save herself), and is equally harsh on her judgement of others. This woman who we kw from centuries of paintings and scripture as the docile, loving, silent, long-suffering, obedient, worshipful mother of Christ becomes a tragic heroine with the relentless eloquence of Electra or Medea or Antigone. Toibin s tour de force of imagination and language is a portrait so vivid and convincing that our image of Mary will be forever transformed.
- Author(s)Colm Toibin
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Weight249 g
- Width150 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $30.15
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.