All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Texas Left - some would say the phrase is an oxymoron. For most of the twentieth century, the popular perception of Texas politics has been that of dominant conservatism, punctuated by images of cowboys, oil batons, and party bosses intent on preserving a decidedly capitalist status quo. In fact, poor farmers and laborers who were disenfranchised, segregated, and, depending on their ethnicity and gender, confronted with varying levels of hostility and discrimination, have long composed the 'other' political heritage of Texas. In The Texas Left , fourteen scholars examine this heritage. Though largely igred by historians of previous decades who focused instead on telling the stories of the Alamo, the Civil War, the cattle drives, and the oilfield wildcatters, this parallel narrative of those who sought to resist repression reveals themes important to the unfolding history of Texas and the Southwest. Volume editors David O'Donald Cullen and Kyle G. Wilkison have assembled a collection of pioneering studies that provide the broad outlines for future research on liberal and radical social and political causes in the state and region. Among the topics explored in this book are early efforts of women, blacks, Tejas, labor organizers, and political activists to claim rights of citizenship, livelihood, and recognition, from the reconstruction era until recent times.
- Author BiographyDAVID O'DONALD CULLEN and KYLE G. WILKISON are professors of history at Collin College in Plano Wilkison is author of Yeomen, Sharecroppers, and Socialists: Plain Folk Protest in Texas, 1870-1914 (TAMU Press, 2008), winner of the Texas Historical Commission's T. R. Fehrenbach Book Award.
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2010
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Series TitleElma Dill Russell Spencer Series in the West and Southwest
- Series Part/Volume Number35
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Noteindex
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byCullen Wilkison,David O'Donald,Kyle G. Wilkison
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.