All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is a rich tradition of wonderful women and other contemplatives who are great resources for thinking differently about Christianity. They emphasized divine love, human compassion, and the radical possibilities of contemplative practices. They were t afraid to criticize the church and indeed thought of their challenge as crucial to their faith. We do t have to lose faith with the beautiful wisdom of this story of intimate and compassionate love, dwelling among us and within us, if we do t want to. -from the ackwledgments and te to readers To those seeking a more open, progressive approach to Christian faith, the Christian past can sometimes seem like a desert, an empty space devoid of encouragement or example. Yet in the latter years of the Middle Ages a quiet flowering of a more accessible, positive approach to Christian belief took place among a group of female mystics, those who emphasized an immediate, nhierarchical experience of the divine. In this enlightening volume, Wendy Farley eloquently brings the work of three female mystics-Marguerite Porete, Mechthild of Magdeburg, and Julian of Norwich-into creative conversation with contemporary Christian life and thought. From alternatives to the standard, violent understandings of the atonement, to new forms of contemplation and prayer, these figures offer us relevant insights through a theology centered on God's love and compassion. Farley demonstrates how these women can help to refresh and expand our awareness of the depth of divine love that encompasses all creation and dwells in the cavern of every human heart.
- Author BiographyWendy Farley is Professor of Religion and Ethics in the Department of Religion at Emory University. She is the author of Gathering Those Driven Away: A Theology of Incarnation, Tragic Vision and Divine Compassion: A Contemporary Theodicy, and The Wounding and Healing of Desire: Weaving Heaven and Earth, all published by Westminster John Knox Press.
- Author(s)Wendy Farley
- PublisherWestminster/John Knox Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationLouisville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestminster/John Knox Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.