All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a general introduction to the rapidly developing astrophysical frontier of stellar tidal disruption, but also details original thesis research on the subject. This work has shown that recoiling black holes can disrupt stars far outside a galactic nucleus, errors in the traditional literature have strongly overestimated the maximum lumisity of deeply plunging tidal disruptions, the precession of transient accretion disks can encode the spins of supermassive black holes, and much more. This work is based on but differs from the original thesis that was formally defended at Harvard, which received both the Roger Doxsey Award and the Chambliss Astromy Achievement Student Award from the American Astromical Society.
- Author BiographyDr. Nicholas Stone recently completed his PhD in Astronomy & Astrophysics at Harvard University under supervisor Professor Avi Loeb, graduating in May of 2013. Prior to his doctoral work, he obtained his Bachelor's degree from Cornell University in Physics, Mathematics, and Economics. During completion of his thesis work on Tidal Disruption of Stars by Supermassive Black Holes, Nicholas received both the Roger Doxsey Award and the Chambliss Astronomy Achievement Student Award from the American Astronomical Society. He was also awarded a Harvard University Certificate of Distinction in Teaching for his work as a teaching fellow. He has accepted a position as a postdoctoral researcher working with Professor Brian Metzger at Columbia University, where he will spend the next three years continuing to study high-energy and relativistic astrophysical phenomena.
- Author(s)Nicholas Chamberlain Stone
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication13/12/2014
- Series TitleSpringer Theses
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note6 black & white illustrations, 39 colour illustrations, 2 black & white tables, biography
- Weight426 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
- AU $15.69Trending at AU $23.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.