All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Time It Never Rained was inspired by actual events, when the longest and most severe drought in living memory pressed ranchers and farmers to the outer limits of courage and endurance. Elmer Kelton Rio Seco was too small to afford a professional manager for its one-room Chamber of Commerce. And Rio Seco, meaning dry river in Spanish, symbolizes the biggest enemy of the ranchers and farmers in 1950s Texas, an enemy they can't control: drought. To cranky Charlie Flagg, an honest, decent rancher, the drought of the early 1950s is a battle that he must fight on his own grounds. Refusing the questionable assistance of federal aid programs and their bureaucratic regulations, Charlie and his family struggle to make the ranch survive until the time it rains again if it ever rains again. Charlie Flagg, among the strongest of Elmer Kelton's memorable creations, is pasteboard hero. He is courageous and self-sufficient but as real as his harsh and unforgiving West Texas home country. His battle with an unfathomable foe is the stuff of epics and legends.
- Author BiographyElmer Kelton (1926-2009) was the award-winning author of more than forty novels, including Other Men's Horses, Texas Standoff and Hard Trail to Follow. He grew up on a ranch near Crane, Texas, and earned a journalism degree from the University of Texas. His first novel, Hot Iron, was published in 1956. Among his awards have been seven Spurs from Western Writers of America and four Western Heritage awards from the National Cowboy Hall of Fame. His novel The Good Old Boys was made into a television film starring Tommy Lee Jones. In addition to his novels, Kelton worked as an agricultural journalist for 42 years, and served in the infantry in World War II. He died in 2009.
- Author(s)Elmer Kelton
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTor Books
- Weight200 g
- Width104 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsMass market (rack) paperback,Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.18
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $12.14Trending at AU $16.81
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.