All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides separate discussions of each of Sophocles' seven plays: Ajax, Women of Trachis, Antigone, Oedipus the King, Electra, Philoctetes and Oedipus at Colonus. It sets these between an essay that outlines modern approaches to Greek tragedy and a final chapter that spotlights a key moment in the reception of each work. Focusing on the tragedies' dramatic power and the challenges with which they confront an audience, Morwood refuses to confine them within a supposedly Sophoclean template. They are seven unique works, only alike in the fact that they are all major masterpieces.
- Author BiographyJames Morwood was Head of Classics at Harrow and is Emeritus Fellow of Wadham College, Oxford. Among his many publications are The Plays of Euripides and the introduction to Gilbert Murray's Euripides (published by Bristol Phoenix Press in 2005).
- Author(s)James Morwood
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleBristol Phoenix Press Greece and Rome Live
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBristol Phoenix Press
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.66Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $20.79
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.