All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis revaluation of Shakespeare's most seductive tragedy, Antony and Cleopatra, allies itself with neither George Bernard Shaw and Philo's Roman judgment of the lovers as strumpet and fool -premised on the idle sensuality and feckless self-regard ever evident in the regal pair-r with the many at the opposite critical pole who have found themselves swept up, to some extent at least, in the grand illusion of the lovers themselves as peerless figures transcending the very deaths to which Caesar's heartless predation drives them. Nor does it seek some middle way, settling into a comfortable agsticism that claims the poet's view of the pair remains too ambiguous to resolve. Instead, by mining a wealth of metaphoric cross-references and ironical, mirroring figurations provided by the tragedy's subsidiary characterizations, this new analysis argues that Shakespeare's assessment of the lovers is in fact unambiguous: Antony and Cleopatra unkwingly settle for functioning merely as two more of the play's eunuchs fanning the flames of their self-destructive passions for one ather when they could have realized the new heaven and new earth Antony promised his queen had their intercourse with one ather been more vigorously complete. Not alone their deaths, but their entire experience is this play is but a search for easy ways to die rather than the quest is should have been to live more richly yet and generate new life beyond their respective torieties as separate individuals to be celebrated.
- Author BiographyWilliam F. Zak is emeritus professor of English at Salisbury University in Maryland and author of A Mirror for Lovers: Shake-speare's Sonnets as Curious Perspective.
- Author(s)William F. Zak
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication31/03/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Weight394 g
- Width159 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.98Trending at AU $78.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.