All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI want to go on living after my death, so that the message that God has given me to preach will continue to bless and help future generations of LGBT youth in their struggle for identity. -- Sister Paula Nielsen This is why Sister Paula, an open transgender Christian, spent seven years writing her autobiography The Trans Evangelist, a document that scans seven decades. Her story is a unique journey that the reader will find fascinating, entertaining, and spiritually uplifting. Paula says: So many people are living dull and uneventful lives because they are being what society expects them to be, rather than being the person they really are. Paula has had the courage to step out and be herself, swimming against the current of popular opinion of her time. Her life is checkered with controversy. Yet, through it all, God's hand remained on her life. In this book she leaves a legacy that people will t soon forget. .. .God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise.....and things which are despised, hath God chosen.... (I Corinthians 1:27, 28) This truth becomes crystal clear as Paula's incredible story unfolds throughout this book.
- Author BiographyPaula Nielsen is a true pioneer. Born Larry Nielsen in 1938, she transitioned identity on May 1, 1963 and has lived as a transwoman ever since. In 1950 she became a born again Christian. With this experience, she received a call from God to preach. Throughout the 1960's, Paula was a patient of Harry Benjamin, MD. Dr. Benjamin has been long recognized as an expert on sexology and a leader in transsexual treatment. In 1966 he authored The Transsexual Phenomenon. To avoid arrest Paula carried a letter from Dr. Benjamin. During this decade Paula sang in the choir, a tall girls' trio and a ladies' choralette in a prominent Foursquare church where they knew nothing about her transsexuality. She also worked for a leading theatrical agency as secretary to the comptroller. During the 1970's Paula was the first church secretary for Metropolitan Community Church in Portland, Oregon, when she came out publicly as a transwoman. In addition to assisting the pastor, Paula was editor of the church newsletter, and she participated in a student clergy program. She became the Religion Editor for the NW Fountain, a Pacific Northwest gay community newspaper. Continuing on throughout the 1980's, Paula wrote a column entitled 'Thoughts From Paula for four different altnerative lifestyle publications. In 1980 Paula became a feature attraction as a cabaret entertainer at the legendary DARCELLE XV where she was billed as Portland's Own Red Hot Mama, performing her popular emulation of Sophie Tucker. In December, 1987 Paula started the Sister Paula public access television program as an open transwoman preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Throughout the 1990's Sister Paula made guest appearances on television programs. She was a featured guest on PM Magazine, Jenny Jones, Joan Rivers, The Daily Show, and Strange Universe. She also appeared on The Shirley Show, a Canadian national talk show. The BBC featured Sister Paula on Saturday Night Clive. Fred Willard appeared with Sister Paula on two segments of her program as well as the national television program Access America. People magazine featured the evangelist in an article about public access television. Feature articles about the renowned transgender preacher have appeared in many local newspapers. Sister Paula continues as a regular guest on the Sir Darryl internet Radio Experience, the most listened to program on the internet.
- Author(s)Sister Paula Nielsen
- PublisherOne Spirit Press
- Date of Publication28/11/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOne Spirit Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.