The Transformation of Scotland: The Economy Since 1700 by Edinburgh University Press (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $40.58+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $21.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first comprehensive history of the Scottish ecomy over the last three centuries to appear in a generation. Written by leading scholars in the field, it presents 'state of the art' research in an accessible style to all those interested in understanding the historical context of modern Scotland. Fresh interpretations are revealed on such key and controversial issues as the impact of the Union of 1707, the Clearances, the rise and fall of Scottish heavy industry and the recent transformation of the modern ecomy. The distinctive features of the Scottish ecomic system are stressed but these are also analysed within a British and international context. The focus of the volume is both broad and detailed with full treatment of agriculture, finance, industry and the service sector as well as the impact of momentous ecomic changes on the lives of the people and the massive new role in the twentieth century of the state in ecomic affairs. At a time of intense debate on the present and future condition of Scotland under a devolved parliament and executive, this book provides the essential background and the long-run perspectives on the challenges and opportunities facing the nation.
- Author BiographyT. M. Devine is the Sir William Fraser Professor of Scottish History and Palaeography at the University of Edinburgh having previously held Chairs at the universities of Aberdeen and Strathclyde. He is the author and editor of many books on Scottish history and related subjects. He has been awarded three honorary doctorates in recognition of his scholarship and is a Fellow of the British Academy, the Royal Society of Edinburgh and an Honorary Member of the Royal Irish Academy. In 2005 he was appointed OBE for services to Scottish history. T M Devine is the only historian to have been awarded the Royal Gold Medal, Scotland's supreme academic accolade, by the Queen. Clive Lee is Professor of Historical Economics at the University of Aberdeen. George Peden works in the Department of History, University of Stirling
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2005
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note8 illustrations
- Weight448 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byClive H. Lee,George C. Peden,Tom M. Devine
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.