All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Erika Fischer-Lichte traces the emergence of performance as 'an art event' in its own right. In setting performance art on an equal footing with the traditional art object, she heralds a new aesthetics. The peculiar mode of experience that a performance provokes - blurring distinctions between artist and audience, body and mind, art and life - is here framed as the breeding ground for a new way of understanding performing arts, and through them even wider social and cultural processes. With an introduction by Marvin Carlson, this translation of the original Asthetik des Performativen addresses key issues in performance art, experimental theatre and cultural performances to lay the ground for a new appreciation of the artistic event.
- Author BiographyErika Fischer-Lichte is Professor of Theatre Studies at the Freie Universitaet Berlin and Director of the Institute of Advanced Studies on the Interweaving of Theatre Cultures. She was President of the German Association for Theatre Studies (1991-1996) and of the International Federation for Theatre Research (1995-1999). Among her numerous publications are The Semiotics of Theatre (1992, in German 1983), The Show and the Gaze of Theatre (1997), History of European Drama and Theatre (2002, in German 1990), Theatre, Sacrifice, Ritual. Exploring Forms of Political Theatre (Routledge, 2005).
- Author(s)Erika Fischer-Lichte
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication05/06/2008
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated bySaskya Jain
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.