All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $49.60Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionBy a whim of his mother Francois Timoleon de Choisy, better kwn as the Abbe de Choisy, was dressed as a girl until the age of eighteen. After a short spell in male attire he became, by all accounts (including this one), the classic transvestite, a male heterosexual who never attempted to disguise his biological sex while going about in public in full female attire. Choisy's fascination with feminine accoutrements made him something of an expert on women's fashions and prominent society women even brought their daughters to him for advice. His increasingly extravagant toilettes and exhibitionist behaviour eventually earned a public rebuke and exile from Paris His privileged existence was further undermined by gambling debts and he was forced to live on a modest benefice as the abbot of Saint Seine in Burgundy. Choisy continued to delight in extravagantly feminine attire and in the seduction of young women, who were obliged to dress as boys for his delectation. A serious illness precipitated a sudden and rather frivolous conversion to religion and he was later ordained a priest. The Transvestite Memoirs recounts the scandalous and entertaining escapades for which Choisy is today best kwn in a light, intimate and accessible style. These authentic memoirs provide a first hand account of manners and morals in late seventeenth century society as well as remarkably exact portraits of his contemporaries. They constitute a remarkable document in the history of transvestism.
- Author BiographyThe Abbe De Choisy was a courtier in France who was introduced to women's clothing by his motherand high culture.
- Author(s)Francois-Timoleon De Choisy
- PublisherPeter Owen Publishers
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- SubjectSex & Sexuality
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeter Owen Publishers
- Weight213 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Translated byR.H.F. Scott
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.