All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings together the histories of a number of psychoanalytically-informed hospitals, and provides a synthesis of the theoretical underpinnings in the institutional practice of each. Of particular interest is how psychoanalysts and psychoanalytically-trained staff working in institutions apply their theoretical understanding, and in what ways the psychoanalytic technique has been modified or adapted to the treatment of individual patients with psychosis and to the workings of an institution in general. Here the institution is the subject of the case study. Institutions that are theoretically orientated to psychoanalysis were chosen and examined, taking into account their various approaches to the treatment. A number of institutional models that are informed by psychoanalysis offer a guide to the treatment and present a version of institutional practice that is different from the prevailing models in psychiatry. This has implications for health services in the current climate of mental health reform.Psychoanalysis has its greatest efficacy in long-term treatments and has shown its suitability for patients diagsed with psychosis when the method is adapted to the uniqueness of each person and is conducted by an experienced clinician. The treatment of psychosis cant usually be conceived without considering some form of institutional care, although this does depend on the level of the individual's psychopathology. This is because the majority of people with a psychotic illness, especially those with schizophrenia, will be exposed to inpatient, community or outpatient treatment, in one form or other, during the course of their lives.
- Author BiographyBelinda S. Mackie worked in public psychiatric institutions before and during deinstitutionalisation in Australia. She is a registered psychoanalyst with the Australian Centre for Psychoanalysis and is a member of the Forums of the Lacanian Field. She practices as a psychoanalyst in Melbourne.
- Author(s)Belinda S. Mackie
- PublisherKarnac Books
- Date of Publication12/01/2016
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKarnac Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.