All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Tree of Appomattox concludes the series of connected romances dealing with the Civil War, begun in The Guns of Bull Run, and continued successively through The Guns of Shiloh, The Scouts of Stonewall, The Sword of Antietam, The Star of Gettysburg, The Rock of Chickamauga and The Shades of the Wilderness to the present volume. Altscheler had an advantage in being born, and having grown up in a border state, where sentiment was about equally divided concerning the Civil War. He was surrounded during his early youth by men who fought on one side or the other, and their stories of camp, march and battle were almost a part of the air he breathed. It was Altscheler's hope that the personal accounts he so vividly heard would aid him in giving a truthful color to the picture of the mighty combat, waged for four such long and terrible years.
- Author BiographyJoseph Alexander Altsheler (1862 -1919) was an American author of popular juvenile historical fiction. Altsheler was born in Three Springs, Hart County, Kentucky to Joseph and Louise (Snoddy) Altsheler. In 1885, he took a job at the Louisville Courier-Journal as a reporter and later, an editor. He started working for the New York World in 1892, first as the paper's Hawaiian correspondent and then as the editor of the World's tri-weekly magazine. Due to a lack of suitable stories, he began writing children's stories for the magazine. Altsheler married Sarah Boles on May 30, 1888, and had one son. He and his family were in Germany when World War I began. The difficult journey home took a huge toll on Altsheler's health and he was never the same. He died in New York City in 1919.
- Author(s)Joseph a Altscheler
- Date of Publication12/08/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.20
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.66
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.92
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $20.04
- AU $56.19Trending at AU $59.46
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $24.81
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.