All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExamining autobiographical texts by Malcolm X ( The Autobiography of Malcolm X ), Oscar Zeta Acosta ( The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo and Revolt of the Cockroach People ), Amiri Baraka ( The Autobiography of LeRoi Jones ), and Richard Rodriguez ( Hunger of Memory, Days of Obligation, and Brown ), Walker questions the often rosy views and simplistic binary conceptions of religious conversion. Her reading of these texts takes into account the conflict and serial changes the authors experience in a society that marginalizes them, the manner in which religious conversion offers ethnic Americans salvation through cultural assimilation or cultural nationalism, and what conversion, anticonversion, and deconversion narratives tell us about the problematic effects of religion that often go unremarked because of a code of special respect and political correctness.Walker asserts that critics have been too willing to praise religion in America as salutary or beyond the ken of criticism because religious belief is seen as belonging to an untouchable arena of cultural identity. The Trouble with Sauling Around goes beyond traditional literary criticism to pay close attention to the social phemena that underlie religious conversion narratives and considers the potentially negative effects of religious conversion, something that has been likewise neglected by scholars.
- Author BiographyMadeline Walker is the writing scholar in the School of Nursing at the University of Victoria, British Columbia, where she teaches online writing courses for graduate and undergraduate students, and offers an array of writing coach services to nursing students and faculty members. She has published articles in the Journal of Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States and English Studies in Canada, poetry in A Room of One s Own, and fiction in the University of Toronto Quarterly Review.
- Author(s)Madeline Ruth Walker
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Weight299 g
- Width146 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.