All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Turnstone is a vivid and wide-ranging account of more than sixty years of travel, medical research and clinical practice. Geoffrey Dean was born in Wales in 1918 and trained as a doctor in Liverpool before serving with distinction as a medical officer in Bomber Command. After the war he moved to South Africa, where he lived with his family for the next twenty years. During this period Dean studied the epidemiology of porphyria, a disease that can cause paralysis; his book The Porphyrias was first published in 1963. Geoffrey Dean became Director of the Medico-Social Research Board of Ireland in 1968. The author's research has taken him around the world, and besides his research findings, the book has a rich array of anecdotes and adventures, ranging from the threat of imprisonment in South Africa to a period spent as the personal physician to the multi-millionaire Goverr of the Fiji Islands.
- Author BiographyGeoffrey Dean retired as director of the Medico-Social Research Board in 1985. In 2003, he was named a Commander of the Order of the British Empire for his services to medicine.
- Author(s)Geoffrey Dean
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2001
- SubjectAutobiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationLiverpool
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLiverpool University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight472 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.