All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTHERE: In an unnamed Middle Eastern country, fifteen-year-old Laila has always lived like royalty. Her father is a dictator of sorts, though she kws him as King just as his father was, and just as her little brother Bastien will be one day. Then everything changes: Laila's father is killed in a coup. HERE: As war surges, Laila flees to a life of exile in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. Overnight she becomes a body. Even as she adjusts to a new school and new friends, she is haunted by the past. Was her father really a dictator like the American newspapers say? What was the cost of her family's privilege? Far from feeling guilty, her mother is determined to regain their position of power. So she's engineering a power play conspiring with CIA operatives and rebel factions to gain a foothold to the throne. Laila can't bear to stand still as yet ather international crisis takes shape around her. But how can one girl stop a conflict that spans generations?
- Author BiographyJ. C. CARLESON is a former undercover CIA officer who has navigated war zones, jumped out of airplanes, and worked on the frontlines of international conflicts. She now lives and writes in Virginia with her husband and two young sons. Her previous publications include the novel Cloaks and Veils, and Work Like a Spy: Business Tips from a Former CIA Officer.
- Author(s)J C Carleson
- PublisherAlfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Date of Publication11/02/2014
- SubjectYoung Adult Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAlfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsLibrary binding,Paper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.