All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the U.S. Navy Wheel Books were once found in the uniform pockets of every junior and many senior petty officers. Each small tebook was unique to the Sailor carrying it, but all had in common a collection of data and wisdom that the individual deemed useful in the effective execution of his or her duties. Often used as a substitute for experience among neophytes and as a portable library of reference information for more experienced personnel, those weathered pages contained everything from the time of the next tide, to leadership hints from a respected chief petty officer, to the color coding of the phone-and-distance line used in underway replenishments. In that same tradition, the new Naval Institute Wheel Books will provide supplemental information, pragmatic advice, and cogent analysis on topics important to modern naval professionals. Drawn from the U.S. Naval Institute's vast archives that has been accumulated for more than a century, the books will combine articles from the Institute's flagship publication Proceedings, selections from the oral history collection and from Naval Institute Press books to create unique guides on a wide array of relevant professional subjects. Naval tactics were described by Vice Adm. A. K. Cebrowski, a brilliant thinker on the subject of naval warfare, as the sum of the art and science of the actual application of combat power. Rewned naval tactician Capt. Wayne Hughes called the study of naval tactics as striving to bring whatever order and understanding is possible out of the chaos of battle. With those words of wisdom serving as the commander's intent, this collection sheds a bright light on this sometimes dark and mysterious but questionably essential realm, illuminating the principles and concepts of tactics that serve the warrior at the most critical moments.
- Author BiographyThomas J. Cutler has been serving the U.S. Navy in various capacities for nearly fifty years. The author of many articles and books, including several editions of The Bluejacket's Manual and A Sailor's History of the U.S. Navy, he is currently the Director of Professional Publishing at the U.S. Naval Institute and Fleet Professor of Strategy and Policy with the Naval War College. He was awarded the William P. Clements Award for Excellence in Education (military teacher of the year) at the U.S. Naval Academy and is a winner of the Alfred Thayer Mahan Award for Naval Literature, the U.S. Maritime Literature Award, and the Naval Institute Press Author of the Year Award.
- PublisherNaval Institute Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleNaval Institute Wheel Books
- Place of PublicationAnnopolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNaval Institute Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byThomas J. Cutler
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $20.56Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $43.92Trending at AU $50.20
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.