All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSashiko, the traditional Japanese technique of needlework quilting, uses simple running stitch to create beautifully decorative patterns ideal for patchwork, quilting and embroidery. Sashiko (prounced shash-ko) means 'stab stitch' and refers to the small running stitch that is worked to build up distinctive decorative patterns, of which there are hundreds. The book begins by exploring the origins of the technique to strengthen clothes and to make them warmer. Getting Started describes everything you need to begin stitching, including selecting suitable fabrics and threads, marking out patterns on the fabric, as well as the stitching technique itself. Ten project chapters show how easy it is to use sashiko patterns to make beautiful items for the home. The sashiko patterns are described in step-by-step detail in the pattern library, showing you exactly how to achieve each individual pattern with ease. Finally a gallery of work by contemporary Japanese textile artists provides extra inspiration.
- Author BiographySusan Briscoe teaches Shonai sashiko quilting workshops and has produced bag kits using the technique for Euro Japan Links. She writes and designs for patchwork and needlecraft magazines and recently published her first book 21 Terrific Patchwork Bags. Her interest in sashiko began when she was teaching English in Japan. Susan Briscoe lives in Wrexham, North Wales.
- Author(s)Susan Briscoe
- PublisherDavid & Charles
- Date of Publication27/05/2005
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationNewton Abbot
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDavid & Charles
- Content Note225 colour photos, 120 colour artworks
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine0 mm
Most relevant reviews
- robbonnarelle09 May, 2014by
it is an excellent book very good explanation easy to understand i would recommend it to anyone
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.