The Underdogs: Children, Dogs, and the Power of Unconditional Love by Melissa Fay Greene (Hardback, 2016)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.03+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom two-time National Book Award minee Melissa Fay Greene comes a profound and surprising account of dogs on the front lines of rescuing both children and adults from the trenches of grief, emotional, physical, and cognitive disability, and post-traumatic stress disorder. The Underdogs tells the story of Karen Shirk, felled at age twenty-four by a neuromuscular disease and facing life as a ventilator-dependent, immobile patient, who was turned down by every service dog agency in the country because she was too disabled. Her nurse encouraged her to tone down the suicidal thoughts, find a puppy, and raise her own service dog. Karen did this, and Ben, a German shepherd, dragged her back into life. How many people are stranded like I was, she wondered, who would lead productive lives if only they had a dog? A thousand state-of-the-art dogs later, Karen Shirk's service dog academy, 4 Paws for Ability, is restoring broken children and their families to life. Long shunned by scientists as a manmade, synthetic species, and oft- referred to as Man's Best Friend almost patronizingly, dogs are finally paid respectful attention by a new generation of neuroscientists and animal behaviorists. Melissa Fay Greene weaves the latest scientific discoveries about our co-evolution with dogs with Karen's story and a few exquisitely rendered stories of suffering children and their heartbroken families. Written with characteristic insight, humanity, humor, and irrepressible joy, what could have been merely touching is a penetrating, compassionate exploration of larger questions: about our attachment to dogs, what constitutes a productive life, and what can be accomplished with unconditional love.
- Author BiographyMelissa Fay Greene is the author of Praying for Sheetrock; The Temple Bombing; Last Man Out; There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue her Country's Children; and No Biking in the House Without A Helmet. Her honors include two National Book Award nominations, a National Book Critics Circle Award nomination, the Robert F. Kennedy Book Award, the Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize, the Southern Book Critics Circle Award, the ACLU National Civil Liberties Award, the Hadassah Myrtle Wreath Award, the Salon Book Award, Elle Magazine's Readers' Prize, the Georgia Author Award, and a Dog Writers of America Award. She is a current Guggenheim Fellow.
- Author(s)Melissa Fay Greene
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication16/06/2016
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintECCO Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight595 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.