All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.68
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $99.21
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough in his lifetime Cecil Beaton - royal photographer and theatrical designer - published six short volumes of his diaries he was shy hurting the feelings of those he wrote about. Hugo Vickers has gone back to the originals to produce the Beaton diaries as they were written. Beaton records a vigorous social life among hostesses such as Emerald Cunard and Sybil Colefax, performers including Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn (on the t wholly successful Alan Jay Lerner-Andre Previn musical, COCO) and Marlene Dietrich, as well as artists from Cocteau and Picasso to Bacon and the young Hockney. Running through the diaries are his friendships with the Queen Mother, with Diana Cooper and Greta Garbo. In the unexpurgated edition Vickers shows what Beaton really had to say about those with whom he worked. He could be waspish, even brutal. His diaries are frank and uninhibited.
- Author BiographyHugo Vickers is a biographer, lecturer and broadcaster, specialising in the twentieth century. His most recent biography, of the Duke of Edinburgh's mother, Princess Andrew of Greece, was published in 2000. His book, The Kiss, won the Stern Silver Pen for Non-Fiction in 1996. Vickers was invited to become Cecil Beaton's authorised biographer in 1979, and two days after he started work Beaton died. His biography was published in 1985 and has just been reissued for the sixth time. Since 1987, he has served as Beaton's literary executor. He is retained by ITN as its royalty consultant. Hugo Vickers is married and lives in Hampshire with his wife and three children.
- Author(s)Cecil Beaton
- PublisherOrion Publishing Co
- Date of Publication26/09/2002
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWeidenfeld & Nicolson
- Out-of-print date11/05/2005
- Content Note30 B/W Photo\Illu(s)
- Weight832 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Volume editorHugo Vickers
- Introduction byHugo Vickers
- Interest AgeFrom 16 To 99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.