All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionFrom a small city college in the sixteenth century the University of Edinburgh grew to be one of the world's greatest centres of scholarship, research and learning. Its history is told here by three of its leading historians with wit, verve and style. Copiously illustrated in colour and black and white, this is a book for everyone concerned with the university or the city of Edinburgh to read and enjoy. The authors consider the impacts of Reformation, Union with England, Enlightenment, and scientific and industrial revolutions. They show the university rising to the challenge of competition from Europe, describe the great periods of expansion in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and chart the university's building from Old College to George Square. They explore its tense relationship with the city, explore the histories of student outrage and unrest, recall the days when blasphemy could be punished by death, and reveal that the university's department of anatomy once supported a thriving trade in body-snatching. Upheaval and crisis, triumph and achievement succeed each other by turns in a story that is entertaining, intriguing and surprising -- and always interesting.
- Author BiographyRobert D. Anderson is Professor of Modern History at the University of Edinburgh. He has published in C19th France and on history of education in C19th and C20th Scottish and European education. Michael Lynch recently retired from the Sir William Fraser Chair of Scottish History and Palaeography at the University of Edinburgh. Nicholas Phillipson is Formerly Professor of History in the then School of History and Classics at the University of Edinburgh.
- Author(s)Michael Lynch,Nicholas Phillipson,R. D. Anderson
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication10/09/2003
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note275
- Weight612 g
- Width177 mm
- Height249 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.