All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSlavery is wrong. Women can be doctors. Women can wear pants. These are truths that most Americans today would agree are unambiguous. But there was a time in this country when each of those statements resulted in vicious criticism. When she wore pants, Amelia Bloomer was a hussy, subjected to jeers and catcalls. As the only female doctor in the entire western United States, Bethenia Owens was so unpopular that she was threatened with tar and feathers and driven out of town. And when Jonathan Walker was caught helping escaped slaves, he was branded with the letters SS, for slave stealer. Today we recognize these unpopular ones as both brave and in the right. Their stories remind young readers that sometimes it is important to speak out against the popular opinions of the time. What are those opinions in today's world? These fifteen men and women set stunning examples of standing up for what's right. Be inspired by their courage and perseverance when up against the odds. Whose unpopular beliefs today will be the truths of tomorrow? Will you be one of the unpopular ones?
- Author BiographyJules Archer was one of the most respected names in nonfiction for young people. During his lifetime he published over seventy books, which have been translated into twelve languages throughout the world. He lived in Scotts Valley, California, until his death in 2008. Kathleen Krull left her career as an editor in 1984 to turn to writing, most recently the Women Who Broke the Rules series. Her more than sixty books have garnered starred reviews and awards, and the Children's Book Guild of Washington, DC, honored her with its Nonfiction Award for her body of work that has contributed significantly to the quality of nonfiction for children. She lives in San Diego, California.
- Author(s)Jules Archer
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication18/02/2016
- SubjectYoung Adult General Interest & Leisure
- Series TitleJules Archer History for Young Readers
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Content Note20 B&W illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Foreword byKathleen Krull
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
- Interest AgeFrom 12
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.74Trending at AU $29.57
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $32.64
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.86
- AU $20.43Trending at AU $28.55
- AU $11.56Trending at AU $11.75
- AU $25.74Trending at AU $27.65
- AU $26.61Trending at AU $30.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.