All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA rich, salty, and steaming bowl of ramen odle soup climbed its way onto the international culinary scene and, from Tokyo to New York, is w a symbol of the cultural prowess of Japanese cuisine. In this highly original account of geopolitics and industrialization in Japan, George Solt traces the meteoric rise of ramen from humble fuel for the working poor to an international icon of Japanese culture. Ramen's popularity can be attributed to political and ecomic change on a global scale. Using declassified U.S. government documents and an array of Japanese sources, Solt reveals how the creation of a black market for American wheat imports during the U.S. Occupation of Japan (1945-1952), the reindustrialization of Japan's labor force during the Cold War, and the elevation of working-class foods in redefining national identity during the past two decades of ecomic stagnation (1990s-2000s), all contributed to the formation of ramen as a national dish. This book is essential reading for scholars, students in Japanese history and food studies, and anyone interested in gaining greater perspective into how international policy can influence everyday foods around the world.
- Author BiographyGeorge Solt is Assistant Professor of History at New York University.
- Author(s)George Solt
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication22/02/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleCalifornia Studies in Food and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number49
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight59 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $52.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.