All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Tim Salmon first set out to explore the remote mountain regions of Northern Greece, he couldn't find anybody, either Greek or foreign, who knew anything about them or had ever been there. This, along with the absence of any books or detailed maps, proved irresistible to the Rough Guide author, travel journalist, mountaineer and linguist. Those hazy bulwarks seen against a summer sky from lowland roads and tourist routes where the black-caped winter shepherds repaired in spring. Where did they go? For the next 40 years Tim made it his business to find out. A close friendship, ongoing to this day, with a family of Vlach mountain shepherds lies at the heart of The Unwritten Places. The Vlachs are called Arumani in their own language, which today is their principal distinguishing feature. It is a language derived from Latin and is considered to be a dialect of Romanian. Tim has watched his friends' flocks grow in size and seen the road arrive as their children grew into their sophisticated twenties. Tim's final acceptance by these proud and secretive peoples (but never quite their dogs!) is marked by his participation in the annual transhumance of the shepherds and their flocks, walking between winter and summer pastures at a time just before the roads and the lorries took over. A beautifully-written, intimate portrait of an all but vanished way of Greek mountain life, uninterrupted for thousands of years.
- Author BiographyTim Salmon is the author of several books about Greece and France, including a cook book and a walker's guide to the mountains of Greece. He was one of the original authors of The Rough Guide to France and The Rough Guide to Paris. For more than thirty years he has contributed to national newspapers and magazines such as The Guardian, The Independent, The Telegraph, The Times, Time Out and Country Life. An indefatigable traveller, Tim's adventures have included trips to the mountains of Tajikistan, walking the length of France (described in On Foot Across France: Dunkerque to the Pyrenees) and making a documentary for Greek TV about transhumant shepherds moving their flocks from the mountains of the north to their winter pastures in the lowlands (which accompanies The Unwritten Places). In 2010, Tim appeared on BBC Radio 4's All In The Mind to talk about schizophrenia, prompting a huge public response. His book, Schizophrenia - Who Cares? - A Father's Story is a moving personal account of life with a son who was diagnosed with schizophrenia in his early twenties.
- Author(s)Tim Salmon
- PublisherBlackbird Digital Books
- Date of Publication30/10/2014
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackbird Digital Books
- Content Note3 maps
- Weight440 g
- Width228 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.