All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe great cities of the Middle East and North Africa have long attracted the attention and interest of historians. With the discovery and wider use over the last few decades of the Islamic court records and Ottoman administrative documents, our kwledge of Middle Eastern cities between the seventeenth and early twentieth centuries has vastly expanded. Drawing upon a treasure trove of documents and using a variety of methodologies, the contributors succeed in providing a significant overview of the ways in which Middle Eastern cities can be studied, as well as an excellent introduction to current literature in the field.Islam has often been characterized as an 'urban religion'; recognizing Islam's deep ties to civic matters and to the city itself, the essays gathered here explore the interconnectedness between religion and its geography. The authors effectively define and map out urban social history in the Middle East from the eighteenth to twentieth centuries, affording us a foundational volume that enriches our understanding of society in the late Ottoman and colonial periods.
- Author BiographyPeter Sluglett is professor of Middle Eatern history at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City. He is the author of Britain in Iraq: Contriving King and Country and coauthor of Iraq since 1958: From Revolution to Dictatorship.
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleModern Intellectual and Political History of the Middle East
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Content Notenotes, glossary, bibliography, index
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byPeter Sluglett
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.