All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is one in the Pen & Sword Transport History imprint in the 'Locomotive Portfolio' series and covers the family of two-cylinder 4-6-0s designed and built by the Chief Mechanical Engineers of the London & South Western and Southern Railways between 1914 and 1936, which survived well into the era of British Railways. The N15 'King Arthur' class of express passenger engines were the mainstay of the Southern Railway's passenger business between the two world wars, but both Robert Urie and Richard Maunsell built mixed traffic and freight locomotives of a similar ilk forming a 'King Arthur' family of locomotives for all purposes that were simple, robust and long lived. This book describes the conception, design and construction of the N15, H15 and S15 classes and the N15X rebuilds of the LB&SCR 'Baltic Tanks' and their operation in traffic before and after the Second World War, until the withdrawal of the last Maunsell 4-6-0 in 1965.The book includes extensive personal recollections of the author, who both saw and travelled on hundreds of trains hauled by many of these engines in the 1950s and '60s, and gives a brief summary of those that have been preserved on Britain's heritage railways. The book is copiously illustrated with over 200 black and white and colour illustrations.
- Author BiographyDavid Maidment was born in 1938. He began his railway career in 1961 and although he retired from the railway industry over eighteen years ago, he is still busy as a writer, activist in the voluntary sector and as a speaker in schools, church groups and general interest clubs. In 1966, David received an OBE for services to the railway industry and, in 2012, he received a Life Achievement Award at the National Rail Awards. His published works include articles on railway history, safety, practice, performance and nostalgia, and several books including The Other Railway Children and Lives on the Line, among other publications.
- Author(s)David Maidment
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication20/10/2016
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Transport
- Content Note30 colour illustrations & 170 black and white illustrations
- Width250 mm
- Height240 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.