CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis previously unkwn collection of letters lets us experience colonial British Columbia through the eyes of a young British naval officer who spent three years on Vancouver Island commanding a Royal Navy gunboat during the Cariboo gold rush. A keen observer of life in the new world, Edmund Hope Verney corresponded on a regular basis with his father, a prominent British MP. In his letters, which are filled with lively narration and description, candid commentary, and fascinating personal detail, he talks about having 'the opportunity to observe a colony in [its first] stage of existence' and to 'watch the development of a community.'
- Author BiographyAllan Pritchard is Professor Emeritus of English, University of Toronto. He was born and grew up in Comox and now divides his time between Victoria and Galiano Island.
- Author(s)Edmund Hope Verney
- PublisherUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1996
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitlePioneers of British Columbia
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Weight499 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Volume editorAllan Pritchard
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.