Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionAt a time when Islamic revival movements in many countries make headlines, it is vital to te that Islamic revivalism is t at all a new phemen, r is it simple and molithic as it is often portrayed. In this ground-breaking study, Seyyed Vali Reza Nasr examines the origins, historical development and political strategies of one of the oldest and most influential Islamic revival movements, the Jama'at-i Islami of Pakistan. Founded in 1941, the Jama'at-i Islami, or Islamic Party, soon became the most prominent political party in Pakistan. As the first political movement to develop systematically an Islamic ideology and agenda for societal transformation, the party became active during the partition of India and it continues to be a potent force in Pakistan and throughout the Islamic world. The Vanguard of the Islamic Revolution offers a perceptive analysis of the Jama'at-i Islami, focusing on the inherent tension between its central idealized vision of the nation as a holy community based in Islamic law, and its political agenda of socio-ecomic change for Pakistani society. Nasr identifies the significant issues in the politics of India's Muslim community that inspired the Jama'at-i Islami on the eve of Partition and goes beyond the exploration of a single party to examine the diverse socio-political roots of contemporary Islamic revivalism more generally.
- Author(s)Seyyed Vali Reza Nasr
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication31/12/1995
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Notetables, figures, glossary, bibliography, index
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.